Sunday, March 18, 2012

Childbirth Class

Yesterday we attended the much-awaited childbirth class at our hospital!
We were the first couple in the classroom, so I snapped a couple quick pictures on my phone.
There were 9 couples, including ourselves in the class. Only two of the couples were expecting girls!
The class was from 9-5, with a lunch break and lots of restroom breaks! The ladies room across the hall stayed busy with nine pregnant women so close by!

There was SO much information packed into the day. Afterward Matt said something along the lines of, "I didn't think they could fill eight hours, but they did." I asked him if he was ever bored, and he said he wasn't. 
When we were going over something that I already knew about, I was never bored or frustrated either, because I knew that he may need that information! I have been reading a LOT more than he has! Understandably.
Matt and I had some really great discussion after the class. It is feeling much more real to him now.

We received tons of handouts. Two magazines, a package of samples and coupons, a dvd, a folder FULL of info sheets, and a cute little bag with samples inside.
Here are a few of my favorite sheets. I didn't downsize these pictures, so you can hopefully click on them and read the sheets.
I thought this one was very neat. It really spoke to me. There are many different ways to get there, but the end result will be the same. (there should be a c-section helipad. haha)

The class started with a nurse teaching. Then a labor and delivery nurse came by to speak and a pediatrician. We watched several videos, even saw a few births. After lunch we all got down in the floor to practice some breathing! And for our husbands to practice different types of massage. (oh yea!) Last night Matt said his hands were sore from massaging me and that he better get ready for the real labor day. Does that mean lots of practicing?? I hope so! Haha. 
We went over labor, delivery, breathing, other coping mechanisms, c-sections, epidurals, breastfeeding, infant care, carseats, and so much more!
At the end of the class we all went upstairs to see the labor and delivery unit. The rooms are a pretty sage green color and very spacious! No pictures of those now. You'll have to wait until we occupy one! I can't believe we are so close! I am feeling very, very ready. We have the tools. We have the information. Now we just need the right time. 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Boy!! Can I come??? ;)

Kristin said...

You are on the very short invite list!