Monday, June 25, 2012

Our Cloth Diaper Laundry Routine

I wash a load of diapers every other day. 
When you have a baby, what is one more load of laundry, really?

We do not have a fancy high-efficiency washer, just plain jane. (aka: the cheapest Lowe's had to offer)

I take the pail liner from the pail and dump all of its contents (diapers and wipes) into the washer, and throw the liner in with them.

The diapers run through two cycles:

The first is high, cold-cold, and heavy, no detergent.
The second is high, hot-cold, regular, detergent.
If I am washing any covers that day, I will throw them in with the second cycle.


We use a homemade detergent for our diapers.
It was super easy to make. One bar of Dr. Bronner's soap. One cup of Borax. One cup of washing soda.
I got the recipe here.

I actually put in more than one cup each of Borax and washing soda.
I am also planning on using Ivory soap instead of Dr. Bronner's next time.
As you can see, we are almost out!

I use two tablespoons per load.

After they run through the two wash cycles, I hang them out on the line to dry.

If it is raining, extra humid, or night time, I throw the diapers and wipes into the dryer with a couple of fluffy towels and hang the covers to dry.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. The little bit of extra work is worth it for all of the benefits!

No comments: