Saturday, May 5, 2012

How I Cut Down My Laundry Detergent Use by More Than Half

I used to use WAY too much detergent! As in, I would almost fill up the measuring lid on the jug!
Now I probably use about 1/4 to 1/8 as much as I used to, and my clothes are still clean and smell just as fresh.
I start by letting the water run in the lid, rinsing out the detergent. Then I let the machine completely fill up before I add any clothes. 
My biggest laundry secret is to let the machine agitate for 20-30 seconds before you add the clothes. This makes the most of your detergent, and gets the water nice and sudsy.
Then I add the clothes/towels/sheets etc., and use my handy dandy laundry spoon to push them all down into the water.
I make sure everything is completely submerged before I shut the lid. 
Then wash as normal!
Isn't laundry fun?

If I am tardy to the party on this one, please just nod your head, pat me on the back, and tell me what a good job I am doing.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Laundry's my favorite! Which makes it extra stinky that our machine is down right now.
I hardly ever fill the cup, and like you, I pour it into an empty washer and rinse in the running water.
But then I go ahead and put the clothes in and walk away. Interesting thought to let it suds!